Monday, September 24, 2012

Accessories Accessories !

In my last blog I talked about important things to get a home ready for sale.  One of the easiest things you can do is de-clutter, taking away minor tchotchkes that don't mean anything to a potential buyer.

Later today I am photographing  my latest design project and one of the critical things I have to do is "stage" each shot / room.  This means looking into the camera and placing each accessory in it's proper place to enhance the view of the space.

In staging homes, we also do this, but in another sense.  Buyers should be able to walk through a home and be able to move around without being distracted by the current owners furnishings.
Show off your home - not your furnishings, especially those accessories or tchotchkes that are sentimental only to you!

At the other end of the spectrum, I had clients several years ago who spent a fair sum on remodeling and new furniture.  They were very happy with the results, but lacked the forth sight to let me incorporate  a few key accessories that would have enhanced their new remodel.  When I say "key" I mean just that - a few important accessories that add that finishing touch, not distract attention from the whole house.

We are all different, some like less, some like more "stuff" around, but when it comes to resale, it is better to have a home under furnished and let potential buyers see the property, not the furnishings.

Tchotchkes that add interest to a simple mantel!

No comments:

Post a Comment